Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Soul of a Man



Hey ladies....you ever wondered what it would be like to look into the deepest innards of a man and figure out what he's thinking? Do you ever wonder if he's into you as much as he says that he is. What would you think if a man ever told you that this is how he thinks of you:



That's right...he's just THAT into you. This song here should bring any doubts you have to a crumbling pile. I mean listen to the lyrics that he sings.

If I ever leave you baby
You can say I told you so
And if I ever hurt you
You know I'd hurt myself as well
Is that any way for a man to carry on
Do you think I want my loved one gone
I love you...more than you'll ever know
More than you'll ever know


The original, sung by the late great Donny Hathaway, inspired Kenny to cover this, and I must say, he covered and quite well. Unlike other covers, where they tried to channel the spirit of Donny himself, Kenny took this song, and made it his. Of all the versions of this song, Kenny's, I must say, is the best one (maybe this is what he sang to Chante').

Coming from the CD Soul of a Man, I think that this is the best song on that cd. Not sayin that the other songs aren't good, cause this is a great cd, but I think that this song is what puts it over the top. Of course it came from a great mind, so all Kenny had to do is put his own personal spin on it.

So tell me..how do you feel if your significant other told you this:

I'm only flesh and blood
But I'll be anything that you demand
I could be king of everything
or just a tiny grain of sand
Is that way for a man to carry on
Do you think I want my loved one gone
I love you.....more than you'll ever know


Hopefully, you'll love him just as much if not more.

4 comments:

  1. I must admit....I just recently discovered the awesomeness that is Sonny Hathaway. This song right here...........
    Mmmaeisa
    Goes on that He Is My Business List as well.

    Excellent Song and Post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I may be completely candid, everytime I think that I have guys figured out, ya'll throw a curveball. Society deems the wants and needs of men as fairly simple and easily attainable. In all honesty, men are far more complex than the species is given credit for. I think that the depth of his emotion is apparent when he says "If I ever leave you baby, you can say I told you so", seemingly humbling himself and laying down his emotions for her to care for or neglect.

    This song is poignant because it's beautifully written, and Kenny Lattimore's voice evokes certain pictures and emotions. Furthermore, his version of the song exposes the true soul of a man: strength and weakness combined.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kenny is another underrated artist. He did a good job on this remake.

    But the ORIGINAL....Donny....wooooooo! That's a Brown Likka song right there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kenny Lattimore has an amazing voice...his last "remake" CD was great...I just can't figure out why his "original music" CD's aren't as good or do as well...I feel like when you repeatedly make "remake" CD's you don't have confidence in the original music either you write or is presented to you...

    Anyway, I love this song, the original of course Kenny's version and Governor's version...

    ReplyDelete