Thursday, January 14, 2010

My Greatest Inspiration



Of course, in wake of all that's going on, I had to dedicate today's post to the passing of one of music's greats: Mr. Teddy Pendergrass.



Now I know that this is one of his more known songs, but in all honesty, it's real though. When you feel this way about someone, you tend to want to let them know just how much they mean to you. I don't think that he could have gotten any more clear with his feelings than he did with this one. Teddy was not one to beat around the bush with what he wanted to convey, and the lyrics of his songs always got the point across plain and simple. BUT, he was always classy with his...even when he was tryin to get it in. lol.

Teddy P ranks among those great babymakers of the 70s and 80s (and quite honestly, could still be in today's times), such as Luther, Barry White, Isaac Hayes, etc. His music is timeless....unfortunately, those of today's generation won't know about this type of music because they can't appreciate it. Starting off in the group Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, Teddy was able to break out on his own and create a name for himself that will never be forgotten. Here is another one of my favorites by Teddy in which he did a wonderful duet with Whitney Houston when she was just coming into her prime as a songstress extrordinaire: Hold Me in Your Arms.



I would add this to a "set the mood" type playlist any day of the week. Especially because I know the lady that I'm with would be able to appreciate this song just as much as I would. Below are some of my other favorites by Teddy solo and when he was with the Blue Notes.

If You Don't Know Me By Now - This should be a dedication song in the wake of his passing.

I'll Never See Heaven Again - That's a powerful love to make you say this about someone.

Love T.K.O. - Lovin so good, that it just knocks you out. How many of us have been THERE before? *raises hand*

Turn Off the Lights - Now you KNOW I couldn't forget this song. How many kids were conceived to our parents listening to this? lol

I Don't Love You Anymore - Hey. It is what it is....what a shame. lol

Feel the Fire - We gettin it in to this song. No doubt about it. I think Teddy and Stephanie got it in after recording this song.

There are plenty more that I could have posted, but I'll stop here. I'm sure you have some others that you love to see, so I'll let you post em.

R.I.P. Mr. Theodore "Teddy" Pendergrass...you graced us with music that can and never will be duplicated again.

2 comments:

  1. Teddy P will be sorely missed for the wonderful contribution he has given to music. It can be seen in the many samples of tracks that he was part of. The likes of him, Barry White, Marvin Gaye, Donny Hathaway, etc; have contributed some of the GREATEST love songs that could have ever been imagined. I pray that the likes of Anthony Hamilton, Musiq Soulchild, Raheem Devaughn, etc can up hold the torch left behind by the Greats.

    This is a sad day, but the happiness lives on through the music.

    "Let the beat go on!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teddy Pendergrass created a great body of work that is timeless and will live on for years to come.

    Now we will see an increase of American Idol contestants singing his songs. *shudder*

    ReplyDelete