Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Is this the end?



In light of all that's been happening lately, between the earthquakes in and around Haiti, all of the famous people passing away, and just all the random ish in between, people have been talking about "the last days are upon". Now I don't believe that mess, not at all....I'll believe it when Jesus DOES return, but all that hearsay did inspire today's post:



This came from "No Way Out" which was Diddy's first solo album (back when his name was Puff Daddy). Now the cd wasn't all that impressive to me, but it had a few good cuts from it such as this one and off course, All About the Benjamins. These two songs were probably the only two that got CONSTANT rotation after that cd came out.

Puffy made some great choices in collaborations by including Twista (who was definitely up and coming at that point), Carl Thomas (underrated artist IMO), and Ginuwine, who too was coming into his own. Twista introduced us to the game of speed rap (i.e. tryin to rewind the tape/cd over and over to try and comprehend the words that were coming out of his mouth lol), and of course, this was no different. Ginuwine was hittin the background vocals, cause back in the day, he actually had some hits on his hands. So once again, Puffy made a hit.

It didn't really hit mainstream, although I feel it should have been a single instead of some others (like Been Around the World...*smh* although the remix was hawt), but oftimes, the best songs are the ones that are not. Kudos to Puffy, Diddy, whatever you want to call him for this creation...you didn't have many of them, but the ones that you did have, brought the game just one more level up.

3 comments:

  1. of course I prefer the New Edition version of this song, but I liked this one too. I actually liked No Way Out. it had a few bangers, especially Victory which is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...I remember this album being played in the dorm my freshman yr ('97). I actually liked it. I agree with you about Carl Thomas, if he had gotten with someone else; things might have been different for him...only 3 albums in 10 yrs makes it hard to stay current (he aint Sade, which I cant wait for this album)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now it can really be argued if Twista brought "speed rap" to the forefront of hip-hop. I think one of the Fu's from Fu-Schnickens started it, but Twista definitely IMPROVED it (I mentioned Fu-Schnick because I was real tight with one of the dudes back in the day).

    But ANYHOO, this wasn't a bad track or a bad CD by Puffy/Diddy. "Victory" was definitely the jam though, along with "Been Around the World" (shouts out to Jenny from the Block for being in the video), "I'll be Missing You" and "Can't Nobody Hold Me Down".

    ReplyDelete