Thursday, December 3, 2009

We Major



Who remembers when Kanye was known for his flow rather than his eff ups? For showin his skills lyrically as opposed to showin his ass on stage? For gettin people not to sip the kool-aid instead of him sippin the henn? I know I do. Ever since he dropped "Through the Wire" as his first single from "College Dropout", Kanye always had a fan in D. Mitch. To this day, I still bump that CD like it fell off the truck yesterday. But this post isn't about any song off of that CD, but the one after that "Late Registration".



This was Kanye's sophomore album, and to be honest, this CD went as hard as College Dropout did. There will always be a battle against true hip-hop heads as to which CD was better...me personally, I always say that College Dropout was bangin on Late Registration, but I can see why others would say the converse is true. He had madd hits (and skits) on both albums, and they went tit for tat, track for track. But one thing that me and others alike will all agree on, is that "We Major" is definitely one of the best tracks from the 2nd joint.

Coupled with the imaginative and lyrical genius of Prince Nasir, this easily is one that will be stored in the archives for generations to come to enjoy. This is one of those tracks that one can just put in the ride, let it play, and everyone who's listening can sit back and enjoy. Kanye gets 5 stars for this track, and if you know me, then I don't say that about many songs.

Now...if we could just get THAT Kanye back on the scene, the world would start to ease back toward a happy medium.

3 comments:

  1. I agree 100% sir. The apple truly doesn't fall far from the tree lol. I def will always say Dropout was better. The feeling that album created inside any hip-hop head, and music lover in general was just indescrible.

    I loved Late Registration almost as much. Matter of fact, I loved that album so much, I paid TWICE to see Kanye on tour for that album, once in Nashville and in Dallas.

    And Through the Wire is his best song bar none. So honest and passionate was that song. My favorite Kanye line of all time was from that song: "I'm a Champion so I turned tradegy to triumph/Make music thats fire, spit my soul through the wire//".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh "We Major" bangs...HARD! I absolute LOVE that track, especially because Nas was on it.

    Now as to which one was better? I don't know if I can choose between the two...because both were completely off the chain. But in looking at the track listing for the two, Late Registration *just* might inch College Dropout out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See...I really don't like this song. I can't explain it, but I just...I don't. And I DID enjoy both College Dropout & Late Reg...I gotta say College Dropout is my favorite

    ReplyDelete