Saturday, October 3, 2009

Who Does It Better? (pt 1)

This is goin to be a two part series on who did it better in the 90s, cause we all know that music today ain't what it used to be back then. Today's post is gonna be about the girl groups that showed up and showed out during the times when music really inspired our hearts and heads during our growin up days.

Starting out the gate is TLC. I know we all remember their inaugural CD "Ooooh...on the TLC Tip!" with hits such as "Ain't Too Proud to Beg",

and then they came back hard with "What About Your Friends". Then they showed that they could slow down the joint and get romantic with "Baby, Baby, Baby," But on the real, I think they will always be known for their second CD "CrazySexyCool". They matured between their first CD and this one, proving that they could go from child-like innocence to mature and sexy. Their first hit from this CD "Creep" is still a banger (and in all honesty, the entire CD is)...and I'm sure everyone remembers the dance from the video (I know I do..lol). But the two songs that go the hardest on that CD were "Red Light Special" and "Sumthin' Wicked This Way Comes". The reason I say this is because while they show that sexy side of their trio, but they keep it real with the issues plaguing society. It's a shame that they had to lose a member of their family to a car accident. (RIP LeftEye).

Next we'll go to SWV. This group is always, and will always been known for the song that probably saw many a sexual playlist - "Weak". I think probably every household in America had at least ONE tape that had that song on there...lol. They showed they could give you upbeat tempo with "I'm So Into You" that would have you tappin ya foot, but then slow it down real nasty like with "Downtown". I'm sure every dude within pubetic ages was tryin to find out if that was the way to love. LMAO! I really love how they took their own song, and remade it into a faster song, and both of em are still bangin. We know how remixes tend to do. (another post for another day). Next up was "New Beginning". Now don't shoot me (and this is my joint!), but this CD wasn't as great as I expected it to be. I mean they had some bangers such as "Fine Time", "Use Your Heart", and "When This Feeling", but all in all, it was just eh. But they redeemed themselves with their final LP "Release Some Tension". They decided to bring it all out workin with such greats as Diddy and Missy. I think that they brought it all to the table to end their illustrious career with, such as "Can We"


I can't forget about Xscape now. Even though they didn't have the popularity of the two aforementioned groups, but they put out quality CDs. There was never a CD that was bad. First started with "Hummin' Comin' at 'Cha", this CD introduced the group with the hit "Just Kickin It".

Inspired folks to kick off ya shoes and relax ya feet...party on down to the Xscape beat. I know I did. "Tonight" was slow it down and lets get into the groove song. Another great one for a lets get the mood started list. Their second one "Off the Hook" wasn't as great...but still a good one. Then comes the mature "Traces of My Lipstick". This was a CD full of ballads as opposed to the upbeat style that we were used to. In my opinion, this was a good transition for them, but then again, with the writings of the great Kandi Burress, I can see why it worked for them. My condolences for the loss she has suffered in the past couple of days.

And to round off the girl groups....of course I can't forget my Bad Girls: Total. I know my music heads woulda cut my head off for forgettin them. Nobody can ever forget when they came out with their first self-titled CD featuring the hit "No One Else". But my joint always was, and always is "Kissing You"

Their next album "Kima, Keisha, & Pam" let the whole world know that they were the Bad Girls of the Bad Boy Family, and they were not to be effed with. They came hard from beginning to end, and real talk, that CD still could get rotation in the whip. I recommend this to everyone to peep out, just for a reminder of what they brought to the table.

There are plenty more girl groups that I didn't mention in this blog, and feel free to mention them when commenting...but these are just a few that I really got into when I was growin up. Lemme know whatcha think!

3 comments:

  1. I love all of them, Total & Xscape being my favorites in that order. TLC were a bit more pop than the others, IMO, and SWV were definitely trendsetters too, and are comparable with Xscape as far as vocals are concerned. My favorite songs on Crazysexycool not mentioned were Let's Do it Again, Diggin on You, Take Our Time--very sexy songs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...big fan of Total. "Can't You See" was my line song. *sniff sniff* But "Trippin" was one of my favorite songs from them.

    Now although they didn't have a lot of commercial success - Zhane was a great girl group. Those chicks could SING and they had quite a few bangers (Hey Mr. DJ, Groove Thing, Off My Mind, Sending My Love).

    Can't wait until you get into the guy groups!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) I used to rap Andre's verse from something wicked to prove to people I.could rap.

    2) My chapter did a remake of Tonight for a stepshow. It was beyond awesome

    3) my friends in high school used to stand around outside and sing Can't you See while we were waiting for the bus....

    This took me waaaay back.

    ReplyDelete