Saturday, October 24, 2009

Who Does It Better? (pt 2)

This is the second part of the two part series on who did it better in the 90s, cause we all know that music today ain't what it used to be back then. Today's post is gonna be about the guy groups that showed up and showed out during the times when music really inspired our hearts and heads during our growin up days.

This was a bit harder to choose, because during the 90s, there was more of an influx of guy groups as opposed to girl groups. I'm not sure if it was in the water or somethin, but it seems that folks decided that they wanted to up and form a singing group. There were plenty of groups to choose from, but the ones that I'm choosing were some of my favorites from back in the day, aaaannnnnnnnnd, this is my blog, so chew on that! lol. But as always, feel free to comment on some of your own.

First up at bat: we're gonna start off with that 4 guy group from Philly: Boyz II Men. These guys were pretty much a spinoff of Bell Biv Devoe (who in turn was a spinoff of New Edition...lol). They had a fresh sound to them different from many of the groups that came out in the early 90s, and being that they were part of the "East Coast Family" (which comprised of them, Another Bad Creation, and BBD...how, I'm not sure how that happened..lol), they had a hit. Their first hit was probably their best known fast song Motownphilly:

After that, it was all slow songs for them. They romanced you with On Bended Knee and I'll Make Love to You, but showed you they had a bad side with Uhh Ahh. I'm sure that still gets play with the older heads...especially the
remix.

Next we're gonna move from Philly to Baltimore: home of the Ravens, the Wire, and Dru Hill. They crept up slowly on the R&B tip, but when people got wind of their self-titled first CD, it was/still a banger to this day. A few of their bangers were In My Bed, April Showers, All Alone, and These Are the Times....but nothing, and I mean NOTHING that they put out can ever top this one:

I remember this one being played at parties, at the crib, in the car driving down the street...you never found ONE person who said they didn't like this song!

Now we gotta take it to K-Ci, JoJo, DeVante, and Mr. Dalvin...otherwise known as Jodeci. Not only did they bring out some bangin hits, but they also started trends as well (how many folks remember the Jodeci boots...I never had any, but I know PLENTY o folks that did, lol). Either way, I could go on and on about their music, because they always produced a quality CD. From their very first CD entitled "Forever My Lady", they always gave you nice and mushy, with a side of nasty. One of my favorites from them was this song right here:

They were talkin about she was the "natural high" and that they didn't wanna let go of her. I think that may have been where Raheem got his idea for "Love Drug". *Kanye shrug*. Some other bangers that Jodeci put out there was Forever My Lady, Come and Talk to Me, I'm Still Waiting, and Love U 4 Life.

And to wrap it up, since part 1 ended with the Bad Girls of the Bad Boys Family, it's only fitting that I end this post with their counterparts: 112. 112 definitely came out the box rockin with their self-titled CD producing such hits like Cupid and Only You. But they had those that slipped through the cracks like Pleasure and Pain, and Now That We're Done. Their next LP, Room 112, showed us that they had grown up a little bit with Anywhere

and Love You Like I Did. But in all honesty, Part III was probably their best one (with the 1st one in a CLOSE second), because I felt that you could listen to this one from beginning to end. With that smooth kick from Q, Mike, Slim, Daron, then onto Player, and ending it with Sweet Love...they def brought it!

So now we have it, we have the Girls vs. the Guys....who you think did it better?

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have to go with pre-crack Jodeci. They had the right amount of raunch and romance.

    ReplyDelete