Monday, March 1, 2010

Mellow Monday






I had to take it back to 1995, and shout out one of the best CDs that came out that year (if not the best one...I know that was a good year for music). This CD was one that introduced the world to the man known as D'Angelo, and when he busted onto the scene, he came out SMOKIN. This is the song that made me instantly dig "Brown Sugar" once I first heard it:



Honestly, there are plenty of songs that could have made the favorites list, because that whole cd was one big banger from beginning to end. But this song has that laidback feel to it...like you could be in a club somewhere, watching him perform this with a live band behind him. Anyone who knows me, knows that's my type of atmosphere. Don't get me wrong, I can get it krunk with the best of em, but I'm more into gettin my grown man on these days...and music like this helps move the flow along.

Now there are other songs from this CD that I have to play whenever I listen to this CD. I know all my 90s music heads probably have their own favorites, but I betcha that the choices overlap in some sort of way.

Brown Sugar: This title song was the tune in everyone's ear when it first dropped.

Cruisin: The remake of the old Smokey Robinson hit...D'Angelo definitely did it justice.

Shit, Damn, Mutherfucker: When steppin out on your dude goes completely to the left...she shoulda quit while she was ahead, and not dead. lol

Higher: A religious kick with a smooth jazz tone. I like it!

Music like this is why I still ride hard for the 90s. Nothing will ever touch it. NOTHING!

1 comment:

  1. not only was the album hot.. but it defined (in its own way) a lot of R&B in the late 90s

    ReplyDelete